We passionately believe that the Practice as a concept is a live entity – a symbiosis of patients and staff. We believe that the people we treat, no matter what their diverse origins, disabilities, sexual orientations, religion, social class or whatever other “differences” are all of equal value to society and are to be greeted with an open heart. We rejoice in the harlequin of diversity we treat and despite the white middle class demographic weighting of our area, we believe we treat a significantly more diverse population than would be considered typical of our area.
We believe that, if a patient needs our time, whether for clinical dentistry, emotional support, to use us as a Community source of knowledge or whatever other reason we will give it. We believe that we, and our patients are as one, making up the Practice as a whole.
We believe that General Dental Practice is about Care of people in the greatest sense, often in their most vulnerable times. We believe that dentistry should be a vocation, NOT simply a vehicle for making money. We believe that earning a living should be incidental to providing Care, not the prime motivator.
We believe that General Practice dentistry is about the integration of two things:
Technical dentistry, provided to as a high a standard as we able
An attitude that we treat real people, and that we treat them as we would our loved ones. We do NOT treat numbers.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
This practice is registered with and regulated by the Care Quality Commission for the following activities.
1. Diagnostic and screening procedures
For the whole population, we aim to see each patient at a personal and mutually agreed recall interval and perform a full examination of both the hard and soft tissues and supporting structures of the oral cavity using diagnostic aids such as x-rays as and when appropriate. Where any abnormalities are detected then further investigations such as biopsies and actions such as referrals will be actioned.
2. Treatment of disease, disorder or injury
For the whole population, following diagnosis and screening, patients are given a thorough, plain language explanation of any items requiring attention, all appropriate treatment options and associated costs (where applicable) and the pros and cons of each option are explained.
The kinds of services that we provide are consultations, x-rays, treatment of periodontal disease, routine restorative work such as fillings, inlays and onlays, endodontics, prostheses and cosmetic work.
If necessary, referral to specialist dental practitioners may be advised where the treatment required is more complex, such as in the case of implants, and also some more difficult instances involving surgical, endodontic and periodontal care. In the case of injury, treatment may be provided to stabilize the mouth and surrounding tissues.
Patients will be kept fully informed of proposed interventions at each point, receive itemized estimates of likely costs and consent will be sought at each stage.
At all times we aim to provide a service truly based on prevention and develop a personal regime for each patient within this overarching framework.
3. Surgical procedures
For the whole population, if a patient requires a surgical procedure at the practice, and we believe that this is within our skill set (such as routine or more straightforward surgical extractions) then we will explain the procedure to the patient together with any associated risks and, if the patient wishes to proceed, obtain appropriate valid consent.
Once completed, we will monitor the progress of the patient in accordance with the relevant clinical protocols to ensure that recovery is both full and uneventful.
For more advanced surgical procedures, such as the removal of impacted wisdom teeth, we refer to appropriately qualified consultants and specialists either in hospitals or a practice environment.
We aim to meet the routine and general dental care needs of our patients and try to achieve high levels of oral health through adopting a preventive approach. If the users of our services require or request to have a treatment or procedure that we are either unable or unwilling to provide, then we will either arrange for a referral or inform them accordingly.
For completeness, we also have some core practice aims and values that we publicly promote to patients and these are as follows:
As a practice we will:
1. Wherever possible, see patients on time and give an apology and an explanation if we run late by more than ten minutes
2. Use materials based on their abilities, not on price and use a spectrum of techniques both modern and long standing to achieve the best results we can produce, based on our experiences and evidence based science.
3. We believe our staff are critical to our practice. We support continuing staff training and development as an integral part of adding value to our staff work experience and as a vehicle to continuous improvement of the Practice.
4. Give our patients our time, in both professional and personal senses. We believe that once a patient is in the chair, the time is theirs above all others. We believe that our patients are what makes us as a practice.
5. Charge fair and reasonable prices and offer a choice of payment methods
6. This practice has a long-standing tradition of full and open communication with our clients. We believe that our patients should be able to raise any issue at any time, with no fear of this having a negative impact on their care. We believe patients should be able to speak their minds.
Patients can help us achieve these aims by:
1. Attending for appointments on time and giving adequate notification of cancellation
2. Understanding the need for change to sustain a good quality service
3. Attending the practice regularly and listening to the professional advice given
4. Joining the practice membership plan and paying fees promptly
5. Providing sensible feedback on all aspects of the service in a friendly and courteous manner.
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with our service in any way, then please ask to speak to the practice manager.
This practice is registered with the Care Quality Commission for the provision of general dental care.
Registered service provider:
Registered address for service provision and service of documents:
Hesslewood Lodge Dental Practice
The Lodge. 95, Ferriby Rd
Telephone: 01482 642736